Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

Queer Disclosures in the 1950s and 1960s





Stephen Smith

Whitney Davis, ""Homosexualism," Gay and Lesbian Studies, and Queer Theory in Art History"
This was written in 1998, so what we now call Queer Studies would have just beginning to be solidified. Davis has a Ph.D. from Harvard in Fine Arts and teaches at Berkley, so it fair to say that his approach to Art History should be within the mainstream of how aesthetics are practiced today. I like that he regards Queer Theory as just another historical method. He lists documentary, iconographic, semiotic, psychoanalytic and others. Notably he leaves out analytic. I find it odd that so many of these scholars in England and America subscribe to "Continental" philosophical ideas such as those of Foucault and Derrida. Berkley does have a regular History department. I doubt Foucault comes up much there.

In Davis' writings he traces the history homosexual studies from 1750 to today, where he claims "homosexualism" is now uncontested. Earlier in the piece he defines Homosexualism as an erotic and political practice, so I'm not exactly sure what he means by how it is uncontested today. Possibly we just accept the reality of homosexuality. Looking back on art of the past it seems foolish not to recognize the homoerotic elements of many works. Davis mentions J.J. Wickelmann's writings about Guido Reni in 1755.


It is interesting Davis also mentions a time of relative openness from 1780s-1830s. Also that there is no overarching theory behind Queer Theory, but it can be applied to a lot of other Disciplines.

Simon Watney, "Queer Andy"
There was a question on the game show Jeopardy where the answer was that Andy Warhol was a virgin. The idea of Warhol as an open homosexual and hero of the gay rights movement seems odd. Even though some of his work, particularly his movies, have some homosexual aspect, that never stuck me as a major theme in his work. Another thing that I found strange in the reading is the idea of "homophobia at work in contemporary [60s] Pop Art criticism." It is hard for me to imagine that the sort of person drawn to write art criticism would not be some sort of bohemian who wouldn't be inclined toward homophobia. Watney uses a psychoanalytic method and it seems that there is a rather undefined relationship between that method and Queer Theory.

Selections from Gavin Butt, "Between You and Me: Queer Disclosures in the New York Art World, 1948-1963"
Gavin Butt teaches at Goldsmiths University of London. That seem to be where all the YBAs come from. Besides Queer Theory he also teaches Performance Theory, which sounds very interesting.



Butt first makes a case for using gossip as a source. I guess sometimes you have no choice. He makes a good case of gossip for use in Queer Theory. Not only is gossip all we have in a lot of cases but homosexuality is certainly the subject of an unusual amount of gossip. Still, it will always have to be somewhat unreliable just by its nature. Beyond gossip he also references gay publications from the 50s and 60s, One magazine and the Mattachine Review. Butt gives himself away as a postmodernist by referring to "so-called official criticism" in his introduction and also later when he writes about Jasper Johns.

The specific story about Jasper Johns and Target with Plaster Casts is very insightful when placed in the historical context of the obscenity trials of the time and the McCarthy hearings. sexuality, and particularly homosexuality, where serious political issues of the time and could have serious consequences. It is interesting how Butt refuses to come to any firm conclusions about Johns' art but notes he stopped making plaster casts after this period. Also he defers Judith Butler and the idea that "gender" is an undefined term.

Question regarding all of these readings:
Are contemporary thinkers adding a layer of meaning to the art of these gay artists that might not have been intended? To what extent do Johns' and Warhol's sexuality affect their work from the 50s and early 60s?

8 comments:

  1. There are some links in the post above you have to mouse over to see. One Magazine and the Mattachine Review go to archived indexes of those magazines from the 50s and 60s. A link to the Realist Archives, from the same time, can be found at: http://www.ep.tc/realist/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to get this right. I believe I was suppose to link to one image and a pose a question. Concerning the Jasper Johns work "Target with Plaster Casts," why would a work such as this be more controversial than other representations of male genitalia in art? Is the newness of this kind of art somehow more shocking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contemporary thinkers are adding layers that i personally don't think are necessary. To me the majority of what the contemporary thinkers said was just "fluff" in trying to rationalize why the artists did what they did. I think my favorite quote out of the readings was in the intro of "Between You and Me" saying,
    "... to see him as parodying art history's interest in sexual tittle-tattle rather than take his comments as an ernest and "serious" contribution..."
    I feel like these thinkers are reading way too much into these artist works trying to legitimize the artist's lifestyle. When it isn't even a definate that the lifestyle choices and art even correlate.
    These thinkers should just take a step back and see the art for what it is, and how the artist describes it in my opinion. Stop trying to figure out the inner-workings of the artists mind and just accept it.
    (sorry for getting on my soap box, but we all know what happens when people assume...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Joe McCreary:

    i have to admit that I am not familiar enough with Warhol or Johns body of
    work to feel qualified enough to say if they were "gay artists" or
    "artists who happen to be gay". I would be inclined to say the later was
    the case, one being openly so and the other remaining private.
    With the Johns article, "Target" was the only piece deemed controversial.
    It is my opinion this is due to the reception of the plaster cast. ALL of
    the plaster cast. As humans, we all (barring deformation or terrible
    accident) have ears, mouths, feet, and genitals. So there is an immediate
    and powerful connection that can be made with "Target". This connection
    can supersede any understanding of color theory, formal composition, or
    artists content. All we have to do is go see Jasper's cock and be
    titillated. I do agree that this work is homoerotic but I disagree that it
    is homosexual art, it is my understanding that there would have to be two
    cocks for that.
    I have questions, If I look at this piece is it homoerotic, what if say
    April looks at it, is it just erotic then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree to a point with the above post. using firmly entrenched gossip from present times in attempt to re-read a work of art from the 50s seems somehow problematic. in many ways this working method leads to the mythology of the artist overshadowing the work (i.e. joseph beuys), but on the other hand i believe there were certain "in jokes" being made by artists in the 50s (some more overtly sexual than others). 1950s america was a time of incredible scrutiny into public figures private lives. it would stand to reason that some things like jasper johns "target" (a.k.a. st. sebastian, a.k.a. gossip) could be attacking these ideas of intrusion on multiple levels.

    the problem for me starts when current knowledge about an artist's personal life it trotted back in to the past and used as a justification for bolstering a political position on the part of the person doing the re-search.

    sometimes a duck is just a duck. the problem is trying to figure out when the duck is just a duck, and not a "queer" duck attacking the very fabric of heteronormativity (p.s. firefox spell check does not recognize "heteronormativity" as a word... coincidence? i think not).

    ReplyDelete
  6. when i wrote this the post above was cewhitlock's post... not that i disagree with joe's post. my response just makes a little more sense as a reply to cewhitlock's post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am having a hard time with this one because of where my brain sits in time and what I read about how things were different back then. I watch shows like Mad Men and it gives a "feel" for what gay folks went through back then, but that (even with great attention to historical acuracy) is still seen through the lense of the now.
    I wonder how it was for these artists and their "then" viewers--How it may have effected their interpretaion of the art or if they (the viewer) were largely aware of the artist's sexuality.
    We know about it now because society has become more open to disclosure...
    But we still look at it from here...
    too confusing??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely believe that people are adding another layer to the entire situation. However, that is just IMO. Perhaps I am looking at the situation completely and entirely way to simplistically... but I have never looked at Andy Warhol's work as an expression of his homosexuality. As for Johns' work, I am just not up to par to comment on his deeper meanings. I guess we just will have to go back in a time machine and ask them flat out. I don't know. Anywho, sorry for the rant... I will continue to think out this question and MAYBE be able to provide a better answer in class.

    ReplyDelete